Too many treats...

>> Monday, December 21, 2009

The puppy is sick. I suspect it may be a mild case of Too-much-family-and-eating-itis. I may also be suffering from this, which is actually quite upsetting as Christmas hasn’t actually hit yet and I still have the majority of family visits left to complete.

M’s parent’s divorced a few years before I met him, and I suspect he hadn’t quite decided how to spend Christmas before I started tagging along as it is a bit helter skelter. Last year was the first Christmas that we spent together, before that we did separate treks to our own family (dis)functions. Visits to the seaside haven known as M’s home town mean non stop visits in equal measure to both sides of the family. This requires visits and meals with both parents and their significant others, visits to grandparents on both sides, as well as other assorted relatives. It is absolutely necessary that we eat and possibly drink at each stop. As this was Bailey’s first year to tag along, what with being just 7 months old, she did a bang up job of socializing and eating without even a second thought. Quite possibly this is why she ingested a piece of fish slipped under the table by F-I-L (father in law), cat food at two stops along the way, another dog’s food, as much food that could be scrounged from the garbage pail during the lobster boil and of course turkey under slipped under the table by numerous individuals. She has yet to eat her own food, and has taken to curling up in my bed to sleep. She emerged briefly to be forced outside to pee and then to look for a treat, of course. M’s brother has a Bernese Mountain dog that is just over a year old, and they played non-stop as their house is where we rest our weary, stuffed, drunk heads each night. I’m suspecting that she is just exhausted. I did a quick “Google” check to see if any of these foods were poisonous to dogs, and so far I think I’m ok. I think in the future, when it comes to real children, I might have to keep a better eye on them, as I fear a quick “Google” check after they ingest questionable substances might be declared negligence!

We chose to attend my family gatherings last year, and have again chosen to spend the actual holidays with my family. My parents put my childhood home on the market this week and because I’m incredibly nostalgic, I must spend the final Christmas in this house. So I’m hoping that the three of us will recover before our departure on Wednesday. It appears that visit will also be jam-packed full of family and friend goodness. Not to mention improper nourishment and hydration. The only difference this weekend: Plan to be more attentive to the puppy dog. Apparently she can’t handle her parties too well!

2 comments:

Wendy December 22, 2009 at 12:21 PM  

I started reading this post not realizing you were talking about a canine person vs. a human person. I became alarmed, but I'm okay now. :)

Anonymous,  December 22, 2009 at 2:34 PM  

It would be nice if we could split ourselves in two, wouldn't it? :)

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP