Deep Freeze

>> Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Do you think it’s ok to call in sick on account of being cold? It it freeeeeeezing here! I’ve taken to wearing my moccasins to work and HATE it when I have to leave my office for something, which means switching to more appropriate work attire.

Our bed has flannel sheets, two quilts and a duvet on it. I have to wear flannels to bed and I’ve seen M wear a sweater to bed more than once. If you go down the stairs to the front door, the cold comes flying up at you from the basement and you swear someone must have left a door open. It take about 2 hours for the fireplace to heat up the rec room enough that you can stand it, and even then that’s from under a sleeping bag. Heaven forbid, you fall asleep on the couch and have to get up to go to bed. I’ve laid there weighing my options on several occasions: sore neck and toasty vs. good sleep and freezing cold.

Hands and noses are always cold in these parts. And skin is scaly and devoid of most moisture. Tea and coffee is a must, but not for the caffeine benefits, for the inner warmth benefit. The office kettle broke this week, and there we were all staring and secretly freaking out about what we would do without it. Eventually someone’s brain thawed long enough to figure we could just go buy a new one.

I’ve considered hibernation. I come quite close to it during January, February and March. I get out of bed to go to work, I come home and get back in bed to do most tasks (computer work, laundry folding, etc.) I can’t wait for the time of day when I can burrow under my covers with M so that I can finally feel nice and warm all the way through! I joke that I only keep M around because he’s a human furnace. That’s only partially true...who else would I trick into letting the dog out at 11pm when it’s like minus a million out there?!

Stay warm everyone!

1 comments:

Anonymous,  January 15, 2010 at 8:58 PM  

I love cold weather! But I don't think I would love being were you are at with such awful temperatures!!! Yes, I shall try to stay warm.

Post a Comment

  © Blogger template Simple n' Sweet by Ourblogtemplates.com 2009

Back to TOP